Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Should I Tithe When I am Struggling Financially?

Mark 8:34-36

From a human perspective, the Bible is a book of paradoxes. It says, for example, that if we really want to have life, we must first lose it (Matt. 10:39). If we want to understand the authority, we must first become a servant (Matt 20:26-27). If we want to get ahead in life, we must first humble ourselves (I Peter 5:6).
And giving to God is the first step toward financial freedom.

"Wow," you say. "How can I give God anything when I can't even pay my bills? Doesn't God expect me to take care of my debts first?"

At first glance, such a response sounds reasonable. The problem is, it's not God's response. He insists that if we don't give, then we are robbing Him-and we will end up in worse financial shape than ever.

We should always keep in mind that God gives us this tenth in the first place. It never is ours: "All things come from You, and of Your own we have given You" (I Chr. 29:14). The tithe is our way to renew God's blessing in our lives. It is always for our increase.

God's promises have been tried and proven. This includes the promises regarding tithing, "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse," the Lord tells us. And then He adds, "Try Me now in this" (Mal. 3:10).

God invites us to try Him, to prove His wisdom, to test His truth. What a bold challenge! Will we take it up? If we do, He promises to open the "windows of heaven" and pour out blessing for you until it overflows (Mal. 3:10).

The challenge involves a tithe-a tenth of your income. That may frighten you; but remember, since God owns it all, He is asking only for a penny back out of every dime. He doesn't need the money; He simply wants us to discover the rewards of obedience.

Giving is God's supernatural means of priming the pump of divine supply. We initiate it by faith, not reason. Giving to God is the prerequisite for enjoying true financial freedom.

If you feel afraid to give a tenth of your income, then at least start somewhere. When you start to give and realize the wisdom of God's economic plan, it won't be long until you will be giving a tenth of your income-or even more.


Photobucket

1 Comment:

Lisa said...

Tithing is biblical. God doesn't need our money but He wants to test us if we put Him first above anything else. Hubby and I are obedient to tithing and all my earnings in blogging I gave my tithes to the Lord. My hubby sees to it that we gave our tithes out of our gross income and not from our net. I learned a lot from my hubby and we want to be faithful regarding our giving to the Lord. Beside, all of the things we have came from Him and we are just stewards here on earth. The earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof.
Precious Words